Mt Cook Tour & Ultimate Alpine Experience Combo from Queenstown
- Duration: 12 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: 019CK-UA
- Mt Cook & Aoraki National Park
- Scenic Helicopter & Ski Plane Experience Including Glacier Landing
- Lake Pukaki
- Kawarau Gorge, Lindis Pass and the Southern Alps
- High Country Salmon
- Free time for activities & walks
1. Queenstown - Your tour starts in the stunning city of Queenstown. As we drive out of the city your guide will not only set the scene for your adventurous day but also point out and guide you past some of the area’s top highlights.
2. Kawarau Suspension Bridge – Departing Queenstown we then make our way through the Kawarau Gorge passing stunning views, the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and the famous Roaring Meg Lookout. Time and light permitting we will stop for that first great shot of the tour.
3. Cromwell – Exiting the Kawarau Gorge we enter the fruit and wine growing region of Cromwell. Passing huge fields of vines, we cross Lake Dunstan and follow this beautiful lake towards Lindis Pass.
4. Lindis Pass – Climbing in altitude, Lindis Pass has amazing views down through the valleys. Being one of only three alpine roads through the otherwise impassable Southern Alps, we stop at the famous lookout at the top of the pass for an essential photo.
5. Omarama – While driving through the endless plains of the Mackenzie district we will spot several of the famous Merino breed of sheep before stopping at the quaint township of Omarama. While in Omarama we have time for a break or even to try the best creamy chicken pie in NZ (in our opinion)!
6. Lake Pukaki –Turning west we begin to enter the Aoraki National Park and Lake Pukaki begins to emerge in front of us. Lake Pukaki is one of the bluest lakes you will ever see and is stunningly framed by the backdrop of Aoraki/Mt Cook and the Southern Alps. We stop for some amazing photos and to marvel at the sight that we are beholding. It’s not hard to see why many Lord of the Rings scene were filmed nearby and we will point them out for you.
7. Ultimate Alpine Experience – Next get ready for an unforgettable experience and fly in a ski plane and a helicopter, on the same day, for the ultimate experience of Aoraki/Mount Cook! This amazing scenic adventure includes a glacier snow landing on the Tasman Glacier.
8. Mt Cook Information Centre – After your flight we arrive at the Mt Cook Village, weather depending, we should get some amazing shots of the mountain itself. At 3724m, Aoraki/Mt Cook is New Zealand’s highest peak, however, the mountain can be viewed without any acclimatisation whatsoever from the village which is just 750m above sea level.
9. Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park – While in the national park you have 2.5 hours free time to enjoy free walks/hikes or one of the extra optional activities. Some of our recommendations include Kea Point Track or the Sir Edmond Hillary Alpine Centre. Whatever you decide to do we will pick you up and drop you off where you need to go and make sure you are well looked after.
10. High Country Salmon - Farewelling Aoraki/Mt Cook Village and making our way back to Queenstown we stop in at High Country Salmon, a local salmon farm, where you can feed the fish and taste some of the freshest salmon in New Zealand.
11. Mrs Jones Fruit Stall – During summer months when the sun is still up and as we get close to Queenstown, we often stop at Mrs Jones Suncrest Orchard to try or buy her delicious local fruit or real fruit ice cream.
12. Queenstown – Sadly the tour must come to an end as we re-enter Queenstown and say our goodbyes.
- Small Group
- Fully Guided Tour
- Ultimate Alpine Experience Scenic Flights & Glacier Landing
- Bottled Water & Snacks