Full Remutaka Trail with Cape Palliser Excursion. The Works! Supported and All-Inclusive (4 Day)
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
- Location: Wellington, Wellington
- Product code: 4daysupportedpalliserallinc
We organise everything so that you can just turn up and ride. All the gear, logistical support, food, accommodation, information and safety support you could ask for. Just get to Wellington and we'll take care of the rest!
- All Extra "Bike Bits" | Helmet, night-riding lights, bike lock, repair kit and instructions, carrier racks and trunk / pannier bags.
- All Accommodation | Stay with fantastic hosts at our favourite locations.
- Most Food | Delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner provided (some assembly/cooking required), plus snacks and water for while you’re out on the trail. Please note that alcohol is not included, but feel free to BYO or we can purchase on your behalf. Dinner and drinks at Lake Ferry Hotel not included (allow around $25 for a main meal). For more about our food & to see a sample menu, click here
- All Transport | Shuttle right from your doorstep to the start of the trail (or a ferry pass if preferred), then back again at the end if required, plus shuttle support for the Cape Palliser day.
- Bag and Food Transfers | We take your luggage around the trail, along with any extra food and beverage you want taken ahead of you.
- Safety Support | GPS tracker and locator beacon supplied so you can call in the cavalry, with shuttle support and first-aid-trained drivers for anything less serious.
- Information and Daily Briefing | All maps and other info, plus an evening phone call to check in on the group and provide weather forecasts and briefing for the next day.
Upgrade your bike: If you're not taking your own bike out on the trail, we can supply one for you! Please see below our list of options, which you can choose once you click the 'book now' button. For more info on our bikes, click here
- Comfort Mountain Bike | Our comfort mountain bikes feature quality components with front suspension, gel seats and adjustable geometry, for a rugged, capable, and comfortable ride. The best choice for most riders.
- Electric bike (eBike) | With a choice of either a step-thru frame with our "Hikobike Ranglers" or a mountain bike frame with the “Avanti Montari E Performance”, our fleet of eBikes have the largest capacity batteries on the trail, powerful and reliable motors, rugged and capable mountain bike components for when the going gets tough, all with comfortable gel seats.
- Full Suspension Mountain Bike | For the ultimate in comfort and performance, we have a range of full suspension Trek Fuel EXs
Day One - The Hutt River Trail - 35km (42km if starting at Days Bay)
Starting your adventure couldn't be easier, with your choice of either a 10am shuttle from your doorstep in Wellington to the official start point of the trail at Petone, or a scenic cruise across Wellington Harbour (flexible timing) to the alternative start point in Days Bay. We'll have your bikes ready to go, and will give you a quick briefing on what to expect for the day while making sure your bikes are fitted and comfortable. Jump on your bikes and follow a meandering road around the harbour edge, to the start of the Hutt River Trail. Ride this picturesque riverside trail through the Hutt Valley, stopping at the numerous picnic spots or swimming holes on the way. Follow the trail through Upper Hutt and on to Maymorn, where your luggage and a cold drink will be waiting for you. We'll check in with you regarding your experience so far and the next day's plan, then you can settle in for the night with a delicious meal at your beautiful accomodation in a relaxed country environment.
Day Two - The Remutaka Rail Trail - 45km
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast, then saddle up for a ride through the beautiful Pakuratahi Forest and on to the Remutaka Rail Trail. You'll follow an historic rail line up a gentle incline, passing through tunnels (headlights provided!) and over bridges, while checking out information boards detailing the enormous task of constructing the old fell railway system. Keep an eye out for trout in the streams and native birds in the treetops - this is a very active and healthy little ecosystem! Reach Summit - a large grassy plateau with the remnants of an old township and railyard, the perfect spot for a picnic or cold drink - then enjoy a fun (but easily controllable) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, surrounded by some of NZ's most scenic farmland. Continue your journey along a quiet country road to your accommodation, with your luggage and all the other comforts you could want. Dinner and drinks will be waiting, and we'll check in with you again to see how you're getting on, then leave you to enjoy the evening.
Day Three - Cape Palliser and Lake Ferry - 0-70km (shuttle van in support so you can cycle as much or as little as you like)
Time for something a little different! Head out toward Cape Palliser, either by shuttle or cycling. First significant stop is the Putangirua Pinnacles - aka The Dimholt Road or Path of the Dead from The Lord of The Rings. This is an incredible geological structure, 45 mins walk away from the road. Then, we carry on along Cape Palliser to the fishing village of Ngawi, and further to the Palliser Lighthouse, and the largest fur seal colony in New Zealand. Once we're finished cycling and sightseeing for the day, we'll shuttle home via the Lake Ferry Hotel, a fantastic country pub on the shores of Lake Onoke, where we can have a quiet beer and delicious dinner whilst watching the sun go down over the Kaikoura Ranges. When you're ready, we'll shuttle back to your accomodation for the night.
Day Four - The Wild Coast - 39km
Wake up to the sounds of local birds and farm animals, then hit the road down to Ocean Beach and on to Orongorongo. This part of the trail is stunning - we've seen orca, dolphins and seals from the trail, and it really is an incredible part of the country. Though beautiful and definitely one of the highlights of the Remutaka Cycle Trail, the coastal track is also quite rugged and may be a challenge for some riders. Because of this, we provide options (at no extra charge) to get picked up from Ocean Beach or Orongorongo so you can take on as much or as little of a challenge as you like - we usually leave this flexible, and just confirm the night beforehand based on your experience so far and the weather forecasts for the next day. After your ride, we will then shuttle you directly back to your accommodation in Wellington, or to Days Bay, where you can relax by the beach with a gelato or a coffee (or something a bit stronger) before finishing your adventure with a cruise back to Wellington. Our default finish time for the tour is 5:30pm, but we are happy to discuss alternatives if this doesn't suit.
- Please note that all accommodation is dependent upon availability. If these options are not available we will discuss this with you at the time of booking.
- Pricing is based on twinshare accommodation - solo cycle tourists or those wanting a room to themselves, may result in a surcharge of $100 / day (we'll discuss this with you at time of booking).