Cass Valley Backcountry Tour
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Lake Tekapo
- Product code: Cass Valley 3 HR
- Backcountry 4WD Scenic Tour Of Glenmore Station & The Cass Valley
- Experience stunning Natural Landscapes Unique to The Mackenzie Country
- Private access Glenmore Station Farm Tour
- Braided River & Stream crossings
- Visit a true backcountry Musterers hut
- View waterfalls, glaciers, moraines, big mountains
- Educative tour on the unique outstanding landscapes within The Cass Valley & Mackenzie Country
- Chance to view endangered wading birds such as Banded Dotterels, Black Stilts, Wry Bill, & other species
- Mid Tour Refreshments & Snacks
- View Merino Sheep, Angus Cattle, Red Deer
The Cass Valley is situated on the western side of Lake Tekapo, offering a world of Natural wonder and beauty. Access to this stunning alpine valley is solely through Glenmore Station. The Cass Valley Encompasses a large block of mountainous country, containing high inherent landscape values of The Mackenzie Country. The overall naturalness of the rocky steep scree slides, the U-shaped valleys carved by glaciation, waterfalls, glaciers, lateral moraines and tussock- clad terraces, overwhelm the senses and ignite the wonder of such a supremely stunning and unique landscape.
Glenmore Station is an Iconic New Zealand High Country Sheep Station In the heart of the South Island’s Mackenzie Country. Glenmore is situated on the Western shores of Lake Tekapo, and runs deep into the Cass Valley wilderness, bordered to the West by the Lieberg Range. Will & Emily Murray are the 4th generation of the Pioneer Murrays to run this beautiful station which has been farming Merino Sheep since 1912. Its stunning 19,000 hectares in size, is home to 10,000 Merino Sheep, Merino Studs, Angus Cattle and Red Deer.
This breathtaking High Country has been recognized for supplying the World with some of the finest Merino Wool on offer, including the supply to the famous “Icebreaker” Brand since the start. With more than 19 years of continued Merino Wool supplying, this station encompasses New Zealand at heart in many ways. Glenmore Station also holds an immense amount of Natural Landscape Values that are Unique to the Mackenzie Basin. Our 4WD Scenic Tours on this station will allow you to experience the outstanding array of stunning landscapes and natural features, unique to the Mackenzie Basin itself.
The Cass Valleys braided river system and Delta is also a special environment for some of New Zealand’s most endangered nesting birds such as The Black Stilt, The Wry Bill, The Black Fronted Turn, The Banded Dotterel, The Black Billed Gull and the Oyster Catcher.