Remutaka Rail Trail Explorer - Shore Excursion @ Cycle Remutaka
From NZD NZ$240.00
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: MaymorntoCrossCreekCruiseShips
Distance 18/25km, riding time 3-4 hours, total duration 6 hoursDiscover the Remutaka Ranges' rich rail history & natural beauty. The flagship daytrip of the Remutaka Cycle Trail, this is suitable for riders of all levels, and can be lengthened or shortened to suit you. 18-35km of easy/moderate riding.
We meet you at port at the time of your choosing (our other tours have a 9am pickup time that we can't shift), and shuttle you up to either Maymorn (for a 25-35km, slightly more challenging ride) or Kaitoke (for an 18-28km easy ride), where you start your adventure with a very gradual incline through native bush. Pass through tunnels (headlights provided!) and over bridges, while checking out information boards detailing the enormous task of constructing the old fell railway system. Reach the summit - a large grassy plateau perfect for a picnic or cold drink - then enjoy a fun (but easily controllable!) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, surrounded by some of NZ's most scenic farmland. Meet the shuttle at Cross Creek, or continue biking north to Featherston and The Fell Locomotive Museum, and we'll pick you up along the way before driving you back to your ship.
- Shuttle from your port in Wellington up to Kaitoke
- Capable and comfortable mountain bike with helmet and repair kit, customised to your height and riding preferences
- Packed lunch and water
- Maps and information
- First Aid kit and GPS tracker in case of emergency
- Shuttle from Cross Creek back to port Wellington