Beds, Bags and Shuttles (3 Day)
- Duration: 3 Days (approx.)
- Product code: 3daybikesbedsbagsandshuttles
We supply all the gear and logistical support you need, along with organising great accommodation with self-catering facilities in relaxed rural settings. Just BYO food (we'll transfer this for you each day), and you're away!
We provide:All the "Extras" | Helmet, night-riding lights, bike lock, repair kit and instructions, carrier racks and trunk bag.
All Accommodation | Stay with fantastic hosts in our favourite accommodation spots.
All Transport | Ferry pass or shuttle from Wellington to Petone or Days Bay, shuttles from Orongorongo to Days Bay or Wellington (if required).
Bag and Food Transfers | We take your luggage around the trail, along with any food and beverage you want taken ahead of you.
Upgrade your bike: If you're not taking your own bike out on the trail, we can supply one for you! Please see below our list of options, which you can choose once you click the 'book now' button. For more info on our bikes, click here
- Comfort Mountain Bike | Our comfort mountain bikes feature quality components with front suspension, gel seats and adjustable geometry, for a rugged, capable, and comfortable ride. The best choice for most riders.
- Electric bike (eBike) | With a choice of either a step-thru frame with our "Hikobike Ranglers" or a mountain bike frame with the “Avanti Montari E Performance”, our fleet of eBikes have the largest capacity batteries on the trail, powerful and reliable motors, rugged and capable mountain bike components for when the going gets tough, all with comfortable gel seats.
- Full Suspension Mountain Bike | For the ultimate in comfort and performance, we have a range of full suspension Trek Fuel EXs.
Day One - The Hutt River Trail - 35km (42km if starting at Days Bay)
Start your adventure with either a 10am shuttle from Wellington to the official start point of the trail at Petone, or a scenic cruise across Wellington Harbour (flexible timing) to the alternative start point at our base in Days Bay. We'll have your bikes ready and waiting, and will give you a quick briefing on what to expect for the day. Jump on your bikes and follow a meandering road around the harbour edge to the start of the Hutt River Trail. Ride this picturesque riverside trail through the Hutt Valley, stopping at the numerous picnic spots or swimming holes on the way. Follow the trail through Upper Hutt and on to your accomodation where your luggage and a cold drink will be waiting for you. We'll check in with you regarding your experience so far and the next day's plan, then you can settle in for the night with a delicious meal at your beautiful bed and breakfast cottage in a relaxed country environment.
Day Two - The Remutaka Rail Trail - 45km
Enjoy a lazy breakfast, then saddle up for a ride through the Pakuratahi Forest and on to the Remutaka Rail Trail. You'll follow an historic rail line up a gentle incline, passing through tunnels (headlights provided!) and over bridges, while checking out information boards detailing the enormous task of constructing the old fell railway system. Reach the summit - a large grassy plateau perfect for a picnic or cold drink - then enjoy a fun (but easily controllable!) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, surrounded by some of NZ's most scenic farmland. Continue your journey along a quiet country road to your accommodation. We'll check in with you again to see how you're getting on (and possibly adjust the plan for day three according to weather forecasts etc), then leave you to enjoy the evening.
Day Three - The Wild Coast - 39km
Wake up to the sound of local birdlife, then hit the road down to Ocean Beach and on to Orongorongo. This part of the trail is stunning - we've seen orca, dolphins and seals from the trail, and it really is an incredible part of the country. Though beautiful and one of the highlights of the Remutaka Cycle Trail, the coastal track is also quite rugged and may be a challenge for some riders - we provide options to get picked up from Ocean Beach or Orongorongo (at no extra charge) so you can take on as much or as little of a challenge as you like - we usually leave this flexible, and just confirm the night beforehand based on your experience so far and the weather forecasts for the next day. After your ride, we will then shuttle you directly back to your accommodation in Wellington, or to Days Bay, where you can relax by the beach with a gelato or a coffee (or something a bit stronger) before finishing your adventure with a cruise back to Wellington. Our default finish time for the tour is 5:30pm, but we are happy to discuss alternatives if this doesn't suit.
- Please note that all accommodation is dependent upon availability. If these options are not available we will discuss this with you at the time of booking.
- Pricing is based on twinshare accommodation - solo cycle tourists or those wanting a room to themselves, may result in a surcharge of $100 / day (we'll discuss this with you at time of booking).