Remutaka Highlights Package* @ Cycle Remutaka
- Duration: 9 Hours (approx.)
- Product code: inclineandcoast
Experience all the best bits of the Remutaka Cycle Trail! Discover the Remutaka Incline's native bush and rail history, then shuttle down through the Wairarapa to explore the Wild Coast from Ocean Beach to Orongorongo (and on to Days Bay if desired). 35-57km of moderate/challenging riding.
Distance 35km, riding time 4-6 hours, total duration 9 hours
We pick you up from your doorstep in Wellington or the Hutt Valley, then shuttle you up to Kaitoke, where you start your adventure with a very gradual incline through native bush. Pass through tunnels (headlights provided!) and over bridges, while checking out information boards detailing the enormous task of constructing the old fell railway system. Reach the summit - a large grassy plateau perfect for a picnic or cold drink - then enjoy a fun (but easily controllable!) descent to Cross Creek in the Wairarapa, surrounded by some of NZ's most scenic farmland.
We then shuttle you down to Ocean Beach in the Wairarapa (even the drive has beautiful scenery!), you jump on your bike and head around the coast to Orongorongo and on to Days Bay if desired. Our staff have seen orca, dolphins and seals in this area - it's an incredible part of the country. Though beautiful and one of the highlights of the Remutaka Cycle Trail, it is quite rugged and not for all riders - please read the trail info thoroughly before committing and opt for an ebike if you're at all concerned about distances or timing!
- Capable and comfortable mountain bike / electric bike (eBike) with helmet and repair kit, customised to your height and riding preferences
- Packed lunch and water
- First aid kit and GPS tracker
- Shuttle from your doorstep in Wellington (9.00am) to Kaitoke (10.00am)
- Shuttle from Cross Creek (12pm) to Ocean Beach (1pm)
- Shuttle from Orongorongo if desired (4.30pm) back to Days Bay
- Ferry from Days Bay back to Wellington (5.30pm)